[wdmaudiodev] Re: Expose multiple Audio Sources as a single virtual microphone

  • From: Thomas Terhaar <thomas.terhaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 09:09:38 +0000

Hi Tim,

Thanks a lot for your input.
I would love to avoid having to write a custom driver.
And you were right, the advisors already use a custom application, that is
primarily used for Screen-Sharing and collecting metadata.

I had a quick look at WASAPI (and also the DeviceTopology API), but from my
understanding, this allows only controlling the audio of the application that
uses it.
(please correct me, if I'm wrong)
I have not found an interface that would allow me to register a new (virtual)
device endpoint that can be accessed by other applications.

As mentioned in my first post, audio/video streaming is handled by Flash or
WebRTC enabled browsers.
This data does not flow through the custom application, the advisors use.
So I would need a virtual device that is accessible system-wide and a custom
driver is the only option I have found so far.
(correct me, if there are other options)

Sticking with the driver approach :
Browsing the WASAPI docs, I've learned loopback recording can be done using the
IAudioClient interface.
I doubt, I can use this interface from inside a driver ?
What options do I have here ?

In the meantime, I'll have a look at the MSVAD example, as suggested.

Thank you,
Thomas