[wdmaudiodev] Re: Effects APOs

  • From: Matthew van Eerde <Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 21:13:46 +0000

> Is there a document somewhere that describes the philosophy and how one makes
> the choice?
> My APO is applying an FIR to correct out-of-bounds frequency response in a
> microphone.  An EFX seemed like the right place for it.

There's no white paper at this time, but the general philosophy is that the EFX
and the hardware act as a unit to provide the absolute minimum amount necessary
for basic functionality; the default location for processing is the MFX; and
processing that absolutely has to act on individual streams goes in the SFX.

RAW mode streams bypass the SFX and the MFX but not the EFX.

Setting the "disable effects" switch effectively makes all streams RAW.

There is a "verify audio effects discovery" test in the Hardware Compatibility
Kit which has some sanity checks on what kind of processing can still be
enabled with "disable effects" in place.