[wdmaudiodev] Re: [EXTERNAL] Offloaded DSP APO not instantiated when device in Exclusive Mode

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 13:41:06 -0700

Culann mac Cabe wrote:

That's it, out simply. I can mitigate the problem by modifying the DSP tuning to not have such a dramatic level change between DSP On/Off but that comes at a cost of reducing the quality of the DSP process itself.  Hence the request for info on a mechanism that our GUI App could know whether the device is in Exclusive Mode - if we knew that we could kick in a mitigating/correcting DSP...

The whole point of "exclusive mode" is that the application wants a direct pipeline to the hardware, without any interference from kernel modules or filters or APOs of any kind.  That is the reason it exists.  Some application writers have decided, for whatever reason, that exclusive mode is somehow "easier" than shared mode, but that's a misunderstanding on their part.

--
Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.