[wdmaudiodev] Driver model for multi-client MIDI

  • From: Andrew Vogan <andrewvog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:20:55 -0400

I am developing a multi-client kernel MIDI driver for a simple USB MIDI
device with a single port and bi directional traffic. By multi-client, I
mean that more than one application should be able to open the MIDI device,
send messages to the device, and receive messages (effectively broadcast)
from the device.

My customer's device is a relatively simple USB Audio MIDI Class compliant
device. No software synth, just message traffic.

Questions:

1. Do I have to write an AVStream driver to replace USBAudio.sys, which
seems like a lot of work, or can I get away with a miniport Port Class
driver? To put it another way, where does the single-client restriction in
the Microsoft native MIDI driver stack(s) originate from?

2. Any other "gotchas" to be aware of with a multi-client MIDI driver?
Keeping latency down will be important, so that's something I'll be paying
attention to as well.

Regards,
Andrew