[wdmaudiodev] Re: Dolby 5.1 audio and USB

  • From: "DJ Sisolak" <dsisolak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:56:29 -0800

Hello Ajai et al,

A few things to keep in mind when using the Microsoft USBAudio driver.
If you do implement a hardware AC-3 decoder in your device, be aware
that up until now only Type II (non-SPDIF) AC-3 transport has been
implemented. Type III (SPDIF) will be in upcoming versions of the
driver. The driver does accept multi-channel PCM but, as Bob mentioned,
at the cost of bandwidth. Go to 24 bit and you may have difficulty on
USB 1.1. This is obviously alleviated by USB 2.0 but we are still in the
process of defining USB Audio for USB 2.0.

One other thing to note, once AC-3/SPDIF (Type III) data is allowed by
the driver, it may take a bit more time to get out a version which does
the DSound Looped streaming interface. Thus only a limited number of the
DVD players listed below will be able to use this capability as a
straight WaveIn interface.

As I have very little hardware (1 prototype device) to test these code
paths with I have not given them the attention they deserve. If there is
any way I can work with you on this, please let me know.

Thanks,
DJ