[wdmaudiodev] Re: Device naming ... ?

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 21:52:48 -0700

On May 2, 2015, at 5:09 AM, Jerry Evans
<jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

For a given device, yes. For all devices everywhere? No.

Just to clarify this. Ignoring the above, if my device is a wave device then
that’ll be the string passed in the IRP filename.

I’m debating how to answer this. Technically speaking, you could register your
device as a “blarg” device and have it work just fine. However, the
conventions are strong. In practical terms, yes. It will always be true.

Have to say that having gotten this to work via an IOCTL interface I’m now
thinking that the KS interface looks to be a much more elegant solution. Being
able to simply Read() a pin is much nicer …

I don’t want to burst your bubble, but the KS interface is entirely executed
through ioctls. Reading a stream is done with IOCTL_KS_READ_STREAM. From a
user-mode standpoint, applications almost always use an abstraction API that
handles the KS calls for you: WASAPI, waveIn/waveOut, DirectSound, DirectKS,
etc.

Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:timr@xxxxxxxxx>