[wdmaudiodev] Re: Debugging unknown WDM Driver

  • From: Max K <xaseriii@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:27:37 +0100

It's a USB device.  Don't they use the stock system driver --
    usbaudio.sys?  If so, then there's really only two choices: your
    computing platform is underpowered, or their hardware has a problem.

In fact, looking at the inf file for the Audio device, I think they don't..
usbaudio.sys isn't referenced anywhere, instead they seem to have their own
driver file, ka6avs.sys.

Regards,
Max

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 16:20:41 -0800
From: timr@xxxxxxxxx
To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [wdmaudiodev] Re: Debugging unknown WDM Driver

    Max K wrote:

        I'm having trouble with my Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
        Interface, that I use in ASIO Mode with DAW software but also in
        WDM "Mode" with normal windows applications.

        The problem (cackling noises) can pretty easily be reproduced by
        switching audio playback from different applications, i.e.
        Youtube and Winamp etc... As I have resonable doubts that NI
        will soon / ever fix the issue, I wanted to see if it maybe is
        possible to try to reverse or debug the driver without any
        object files... If I got any results, maybe I could point the NI
        devs in the right direction and they'll maybe even release a
        fix.

        Now I have little experience with Reverse Engineering using
        tools like IDA but I think to find the issue that actually
        triggers the "corruption" of the playback stream some tools to
        monitor the playback would be a better starting point. Could
        anyone give me some info on what tools to use (if there are
        any)?