[wdmaudiodev] Re: Creating more then 32 in & out devices for a virtual audio driver.....

  • From: Waldemar Haszlakiewicz <waldemar.haszlakiewicz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Eshanye K.P" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 17:15:50 +0100

EKP> I have pasted the lines quoted by DDK regarding this..
EKP> I did not understand thr paragraph which says

EKP> "The limitation on the number of device interfaces
EKP> does not limit the number of devices. A subsystem
EKP> driver that manages several devices (four MIDI
EKP> devices, for instance) still requires only a single
EKP> device interface."

EKP> Does the above paragraph indicates that there can be
EKP> 32 interfaces but each interface can have devices
EKP> without limits ?
1 interface == 1 filter
how you construct you filter is all up to you,
but normally 1 filter means 1 stereo IN/OUT pair

EKP> Then the list shown in "control
EKP> panel->sounds and audio devices" are interfaces or
EKP> devices ?
If you look from drivers point of view a device is normally a "hardware device"
(it contains everything),
when interface is a filter or part of your "hardware device".
ex.:
your hardware device contains 4 INs and 4 OUTs and 1 MIDI in and out.
So you'll end up with 3 filters ( 2INs+2OUTs = 1 filter, 2INs+2OUTs = 1 filter,
1 MIDI IN+OUT = 1
filter)

EKP> what is the API call used to add several
EKP> devices to one interface ?
it's in other order: device -> interface=filter-> pin