[wdmaudiodev] Re: Crashes with msvad examples

  • From: Robert Bielik <robert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 07:56:44 +0200

Hi Fred,

Does anyone know if there is anything in particular about the implementation of
the msvad driver examples that would make them prone to crash in this scenerio?

I think it is generally impossible to answer that question.

I’m just getting started in driver development and I haven’t had to do any
debugging yet, how difficult would it be for me to run this test in a debug environment so I
could see what is happening?

Well, the sooner you do, the better, there is no substitute to debugging when
it comes to drivers as I came to realize quickly when starting out.

You'll need:
- Another PC running your driver with Windows booted in debug mode (pressing F8 at
startup will give you that option in "Advanced startup options", not sure
though that you can select firewire (1394) here, you might need to setup an additional
boot entry for that using bcdedit)
- Install WinDbg on your development PC (if you haven't already)
- A firewire cable to connect the debug PC to your development PC running
WinDbg (there is a possibility using USB (2.0) cable to interconnect the
machines, haven't tried it though).
- Start WinDbg and select "Symbol path" to point to the folder where the .pdb
symbol file is (for your driver) to be able to resolve symbols.
- Select "File/Kernel Debug" in WinDbg and choose the 1394 (firewire) channel
you've setup for the debug PC
- Boot the first PC (it is during boot that the kernel debug driver connects to
WinDbg)

That's without going into explicit details, which I don't have in my head atm
(use google).

Now you'll just have to make the BSOD situation occur, and when it does, you'll
be able to examine the exact cause in WinDbg.

Best of luck!
/Rob
Ps. A very good source for generic help with debugging/drivers is the NTDEV
list at http://www.osronline.com