[wdmaudiodev] Crashes with msvad examples

  • From: "Paul Titchener" <pt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 16:26:35 -0700

I’m developing a “virtual” sound card driver using the msvad examples as a
starting point.

I built and am running them on a 32 bit Win 7 machine. To test the virtual
driver I set it as the default card and start playback to it.

I then have a simple app that calls the loopback capture interface on that
driver and then passes that data for playback by the “real” driver using WASAPI
calls.

This works fine when a single audio application is running.

But if I start a second audio application and begin playback directly to the
real sound card, probably 95% of the time the playback functions correctly to
both cards.

But 5% of the time I’m crashing to the blue screen of death.

However when I test this same scenerio using any of the several commerically
available virtual audio drivers, (like the one from virtualaudiostreaming.net)
I never get a crash. I’ve tried all the various driver versions in the msvad
folder and all of them are crashing around 5% of the time.

Does anyone know if there is anything in particular about the implementation of
the msvad driver examples that would make them prone to crash in this scenerio?

I’m just getting started in driver development and I haven’t had to do any
debugging yet, how difficult would it be for me to run this test in a debug
environment so I could see what is happening?

Thanks,

Fred