[wdmaudiodev] Core Audio API Device ID lifetime

  • From: "Jeff Pages" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:56:28 +1000

Is the string returned by IMMDevice::GetID preserved across reboots? In other
words, if I store the string in the registry, can I later, after a reboot,
retrieve that string in order to open the same endpoint again with
IMMDeviceEnumerator::GetDevice?

From my experimenting, that seems to be the case, but I'd like to make sure
it's really a valid thing to be doing. The documentation says the ID string can
be used in another process or at a later time, but how much later can "later"
be, given the warning that the contents of the string may change in future
implementations of the MMDevice API? Is a service pack or even a Windows Update
going to break what I'm doing?

Jeff Pages