[wdmaudiodev] Connecting two MIDI pins to each other

  • From: "Evert van der Poll" <e.j.van.der.poll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:30:18 +0100

Hello to all,

I'm investigating the possibility of connecting two MIDI pins to each other,
for instance a hardware input with a hardware output. I have been
experimenting with graph edit and ksStudio but I'm still undetermined about
whether this is at all possible. In the DDK documentation I read that the
default data-intersection handler only handles KSDATAFORMAT_WAVEFORMATEX or
KSDATAFORMAT_DSOUND. Before I start investing time into something that is
hopeless from the beginning, I hope there is someone who can answer the
following questions:

- Can two MIDI pins in principle connect to each other?

- Do I need to implement proprietary data-intersection handlers?

- Is there a trick to let the default data-intersection handler in portcls
do the work (for instance let the MIDI pins report some fake audio format).

- If the connecting pins idea is not working, is there some other way the
two pins can communicate? For instance I read in the documentation that I
can use KsCreatePin without specifying a pin to connect with. Does this
create some sort of communication line? Can I send IRP's from one pin to the
other?

What I'm trying to achieve is a sort of filter that can be inserted into a
MIDI stream, much like a video codec can be inserted into a video stream.

I'd much appreciate any input, thoughts, suggestions.

Evert van der Poll