[wdmaudiodev] Re: Changing default audio device in Windows 7.

  • From: AI Developer <developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:36:40 +0530

Hi Uwe,

As per Mitch Rundle, IDirectSound::SetSpeakerConfig on Vista is a no-op:

-------------
IDirectSound::SetSpeakerConfig is a no-op on Vista.  There is no longer a public method for setting the speaker config.
Regards,
Mitch Rundle
Microsoft

-------------

You can read the thread where this is discussed, and a number of developers are upset about it breaking:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowspro-audiodevelopment/thread/187692f0-c71a-4317-98f9-77bcc6d67d08

The KS property that you talk about is still "alive", but it does not map from SetSpeakerConfig any more!

Thanks.
Devendra.

uwekirst wrote:
Hi Devendra,

AI Developer schrieb:
but rendered useless "officially" - one such example is the DirectSound's Set Speaker Config API.

I disagree with you in in this special case only. I think you are talking here about the KSPROPERTY_AUDIO_CHANNEL_CONFIG request, the speaker configurations maps to this request. It seems that the channel configuration is the only way how a driver can determine the number of channels used. This is because the microsoft mixer maps (copies) a 2 Channel playback stream to a 8 channel stream in any case, regardless of this property.
So if the audio hardware wants for some reasons to know the "real" number of channels (that means the number of channels used out of 8), this is the only way.
In case only 2 channels are used the other 6 hardware channels could be mapped to other audio devices.
For my driver this is was very helpfull. In older driver versions we had a custom switch for this kind of setting, which could be replaced with the channel configurations.

Thanks,
/Uwe

****************** WDMAUDIODEV addresses: Post message: mailto:wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subscribe: mailto:wdmaudiodev-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe Unsubscribe: mailto:wdmaudiodev-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe Moderator: mailto:wdmaudiodev-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx URL to WDMAUDIODEV page: http://www.wdmaudiodev.com/