[wdmaudiodev] Capturing audio output using a "kernel mode filter driver"

  • From: "Paul Titchener" <pt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 07:49:01 -0700

The product sold at this website- www.totalrecorder.com – captures and records
all the audio output generated on Windows machines.

I’d seen it in the past and they were using a “virtual driver” method similar
to the “virtual audio cable” product that has been mentioned on this list.

This method installs a “phantom driver” which captures the audio and then sends
it to the real driver for playback.

However now they have an option on Win 7 and Vista machines to use a “kernel
mode filter driver” method instead of the virtual driver, so you don’t have to
select their phantom drivers in your software applications to capture the
audio. Playing with the demo version it appears to work pretty well.

I didn’t think this was a supported method of operation on Win7 and Vista
machines, did they implement this by making some unsupported modifications to
the audio system or can it be done without making unsupported mods?

The installation required a reboot so I’m wondering if some special mods were
done to the audio system files to make this functionality possible.

Paul T.