[wdmaudiodev] Re: Capture with USBAudio under Windows 7 noisy

  • From: "Jeff Pages" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:20:27 +1000

Tim wrote:
>The purists might disagree, but it has been my experience that the
>Windows sample rate converter is pretty good for most purposes.  How are
>you detecting the noise at 4 kHz?  Are you injecting a pure signal and
>doing a spectrum analysis on the result?

While the render sampling rate converter in Windows 7 is very good, the
capture converter is a different matter entirely. It has conversion
artefacts at about -65dB on a pure tone. I first noticed this back when
Vista was released and tried reporting it a couple of times but got nowhere,
and the problem has persisted into Windows 7.

Jeff