[wdmaudiodev] Audio device selection on Longhorn

  • From: "Jeff Pages" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:32:24 +1000

We manufacture a range of multi-channel sound cards. Each channel is implemented as a WavePCI subdevice, and each subdevice is given a distinctive name (Chan.1, Chan.2, etc.). This works fine on Windows 2000, XP and Server 2003, and our cards are logo'd for these platforms.

On Longhorn Beta 1, however, in the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties dialog, the Preferred Playback Device dropdown lists destination pins rather than subdevices, and identifies them by pin type (rather than pin name) so that we get two entries saying "Speaker output on Auricon". On the Preferred Recording Device dropdown list, it appears to list all source pins, again identified by pin type, so we get multiple entries for each subdevice, all called "Line In on Auricon". Needless to say this is not a good user experience.

Also our input topology is a mixer rather than a selector, allowing any or all physical inputs to be mixed into each wave input subdevice, so selecting the Preferred Recording Device from a list of source pins doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Jeff Pages
Innes Corporation Pty Ltd