[wdmaudiodev] Are volume and mute controls optional for UAC 1.0 device?

  • From: "Robert S. Giaraffa" <Robert.Giaraffa@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 19:22:27 +0000

Are Mute and Volume controls both optional for a USB Audio Class 1.0 compliant
device?  Will Windows perform the volume/mute functions if the device does not
declare these controls?

I know that the 'Audio Device Class Specification for Basic Audio Devices' spec
requires Headphone and Microphone devices to have a Master Mute and Left/Right
channel volume controls, but I see no mention that these controls are mandatory
in the 'USB Device Class Definition for Audio Devices' R1.0 spec.

Thanks,
Bob Giaraffa