[wdmaudiodev] An Unusual MSVAD question

  • From: "Don Bell" <0dbell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:31:40 -0400

My question is "unusual" in the sense that it doesn't pertain to audio
kernel programming per-se but rather the installation of such driver (which
is always part of such project):

Is it possible to "properly" install one of the MSVAD samples (say,
"Simple") using DPInst?

I know that it is possible to install it using Control Panel's [Add
Hardware]. It works perfectly using this manual method (which unfortunately
necessitates interactive steps). It also uninstalls very well that way.

But I need an automated method (optionally silent) and my experiments with
devcon.exe and DPInst.exe so far yielded very frustrating results. In the
case of devcon.exe, the results were inconsistent as well.

My understanding is that despite being virtual, an MSVAD driver *is* a PnP
driver. Am I wrong?

Also, a clarification of why Microsoft decided to place the "hardware id" in
the Description statement in the .inf file in the "CompatibleIds" field
(instead of the "DeviceId" field) would be very helpful. I am talking about
the following line in msvad.inf:

[MicrosoftDS]
%MSVAD_Simple.DeviceDesc%=MSVAD_Simple,,*MSVADSimple

What does Control Panel's [Add Hardware] do that is missing from devcon.exeand
DPInst.exe? What do I need to do in order to create an automated install for
MSVAD simple? Is my only recourse to write a dedicated installation program
from scratch using the DifxApi?

Thanks,
Don