[wdmaudiodev] Adding Vista APOs to IHV driver

  • From: "William R. Huttel" <whuttel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:18:14 -0600

I'm trying to add an APO to a Vista system which has an IHV-supplied driver. I'm using a .INF derived from the swap example. When I install the APO, the driver file details list shows HdAudio.sys, and the IHV driver is not present.

The INF references "hdaudio.inf" in various places, but changing these has not changed the end result when installing the APO : HdAudio.sys replaces the IHV driver .sys.

Sysfx.doc says (Under "How Custom sAPOs Are Installed", pg. 4): "Custom sAPOs are installed with the audio driver and linked to a specific Plug and Play hardware ID". Is this *temporally* "with" (that is, an APO has to be installed at the same time as the audio driver, from the same INF), or "with" in a looser sense ("joining", "accompanying", "in the same place")?

If it's possible to add APOs to an installed IHV driver in a separate installation step, are there any example INFs which show how this is done?

Thanks,
Bill