[wdmaudiodev] Re: AVStream vs. Portcls

  • From: "Stephan" <stephan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:41:15 +0100

> We are trying to decide whether to go with AVStream or Portcls for writing
> the next version of our MIDI driver.
Do you have any information whether MIDI support is available under AVStream?
I've heard rumors it is not, but no one on
this list could confirm if this is correct or not.

> With a PortCls mini-port we can easily add multiple
> "devices"(PcRegisterSubdevice) without having to create real child
> devices(causing yet another new hardware found wizard), however that's not
> possible with the current Stream minidriver model. How does this stand with
> an AVStream mini driver?
IMHO an AVStream driver may expose multiple filters (at least audio filters).
Same should be true for MIDI filters IF
they are supported by AVStream.

> but AVStream is only available on
> XP (and Me?). What happens when a user wants to use our device with an older
> OS. Do we need to maintain separate drivers? It seems very unlikely that
> AVStream will ever be back-ported to Win2K!

AVStream is supported under XP and under DirectX <= 8, so you just have to
install DirectX 8 or higher under W2k and
AVStream will be available.

    Stephan