[wdmaudiodev] AVStream MIDI hotplugging issue

  • From: Stephan Kappertz <stephan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WDMAUDIODEV <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:15:35 +0100

Hi All,

I have an hotplugging issue with an 1394 device that supports audio and MIDI. The device driver is of type AVStream and exposes several filters for audio and MIDI/DIRECTMUSIC.

If I start any application that opens one of the MIDI ports, the system opens a handle to the MIDI filter. Now if I'm hotplugging the device while the app is still running, either the app stops responding, or I'm unable to close/kill it due to the open MIDI handle. If I force close the handle using ProcessExplorer from SysInternals, the app closes (or starts responding again) immediately.

If the application stops responding the driver itself does not unload even though the MIDI pin gets released and all attached stream pointers get freed.

Now my question is: How can I notify the application (or OS) that the MIDI driver went offline and the handle needs to be closed?

BTW: If I hotplug the device with audio running, I can close the application without problems.

Thanks,
- Stephan