[wdmaudiodev] Re: AVStream Audio Frustration

  • From: Matthew van Eerde <Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 23:03:29 +0000

I understand capture devices can show up twice in DirectShow.  For example, if
I have a microphone KS filter and muxed line-in/microphone KS filter, I get
five DirectShow filters:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matthew_van_eerde/archive/2010/12/18/10014843.aspx
-- Audio Capture Sources ({33D9A762-90C8-11D0-BD43-00A0C911CE86}) --
    Front Microphone (High Definiti
    Line In (High Definition Audio
    Rear Microphone (High Definitio
-- WDM Streaming Capture Devices ({65E8773D-8F56-11D0-A3B9-00A0C9223196}) --
    HD Audio Microphone
    HD Audio Muxed capture

That said, I believe it's normal and expected behavior for DirectShow to
sometimes insert software format conversion and to sometimes not.  (I don't
consider myself a DirectShow guru; perhaps this question should go to
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsdirectshowdevelopment/threads
)

Can you clarify why it is a problem for a format converter to be inserted above
you?