[wdmaudiodev] Re: AEC in Vista

  • From: Hakon Strande <hakons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:23:54 -0700

Tim,

(I am not answering for Shuba but she is on vacation so you get my views
instead)

Another viewpoint could be that AEC should really not be a vendor
provided feature or an attribute of the microphone or any other capture
hardware but should rather be inherently built into OS APIs because it
is so necessary for some applications to function and because
applications don't want to rely on the user having a certain
driver/filter driver/APO installed or specific capture hardware
connected.

Enabling applications (who one could argue owns the total user
experience for that application and should be able to control it) to
make use of a universally known and always present/available AEC may be
a better solution than inserting 3rd party processing into the pipeline
that the application may not even be aware of, the application may not
be able to control or that may not be there on all systems.

Please email us directly if you want to continue a philosophical
discussion about the different approaches to value-add enabling in
Windows Vista.

Sincerely,

Hakon Strande (hakons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Program Manager Integrated, Internal, External, and Wireless Audio
Devices

MediaTech/DMD/Windows Client/Microsoft