[wdmaudiodev] Re: AEC in Vista

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 10:20:15 -0700

Shuba Iyer wrote:

> AEC and microphone array processing in Vista are application graph
> features. So it is up to the application to use the feature or not.

You know, the more I think about this statement, the more I think this
position is completely wrong.

AEC is perhaps "the" canonical feature that one would want to use
globally.  As a user, I'm not going to think about AEC as an application
add-on.  Instead, I'm going to think about AEC as an attribute of the
microphone array.  If I have installed some kind of AEC, then I want
echo cancellation in every application that uses that microphone,
whether it be wave, DSound, or WASAPI.

I've been using Sound Recorder as an example, but that's the wrong
example.  With the policy you have described, there is no way to use an
AEC-enabled microphone with NetMeeting, which is one of the apps where I
would most want echo cancellation.  In fact, if I am a vendor supplying
my own AEC DMO following your model, there is no way to have it get used
by any applications other than the ones I have written myself.

That ain't right.  Have I misunderstood your position?