[wdmaudiodev] Re: AEC in Vista

  • From: Shuba Iyer <Shuba.Iyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 18:31:49 -0700

In Vista, the new core audio API is called "Windows audio session API
(WASAPI)". WASAPI allows users to capture the speaker render signal after the
mixer. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/CoreAud/htm/wasapi.asp
 and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/CoreAud/htm/iaudioclientinitialize.asp
 for more details about loopback capture. Note the AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_LOOPBACK
stream flag in the Remarks section.

When the DMO is in source mode, we don't know the signal that is rendered by
the AEC application. However we can get the signal after the audio mixer. So
not only is the far-end signal cancelled, but also the system sounds or other
signal played by other applications through the same audio device are also
cancelled (per-system echo cancellation).

>> So, am I, then, expected to add some kind of a "tee" to my application in
>> order to route the final output signal back to the DMO's speaker input?
Essentially that is what you would do. If you want the per-stream AEC, i.e.
cancellation of only the far-end signal rendered by the AEC application you
will have to use the filter mode DMO. In this case you will loopback just the
far-end signal to the DMO input for processing. All other sounds rendered by
other applications will not be cancelled and will be heard at the far-end.

Shuba Iyer
Microsoft Corporation