[wdmaudiodev] Re: 96kHz over USB

  • From: "Thomas Zepf" <thzepf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 13:45:31 +0100

> >>OK, what's the story with 96kHz audio over USB?  A chip maker told me
the
> >>stock Windows driver limits to 48k - sounds suspicious to me  Or is
there
> >>differences USB1.1 to USB2.0?
> >>Thanks!
> >>Marc Lindahl
> >>
> Hello,
> thats one of the kmixer bugs. If an audio application requests a
> (recording) sample rate > 48kHz, the kmixer uses its build in sample
> rate converter to convert 48kHz -> 96kHz and passes a 48kHz request to
> the driver. Thats true for PCI cards also (not a USB limit). You have to
> bypass kmixer.
> Uwe Kirst

No thats not correct (at least for USB)
You can design a 96k USB Device and it will work with 96k but you have
to use 16 Bit if you are using playback and record because for 24 Bit there
is not enough bandwith for a fullduplex  device. If you are using 96
kHz/24Bit
in a Playback only device or a Rec only device it will work.

Thomas