[wdmaudiodev] Re: 24 bit PCM

  • From: "Peter Haller" <pchaller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:38:26 -0400

> However, supporting 24 bit packed *can* be inefficient - it all depends on
how the hardware supports 24bit.

> Which means, that the driver has to sit there and copy the 24bit packed
data to 24bit unpacked DMA buffers - going through each sample - which would
not be necessary if the application was not required to use 24bit packed.

> Although I'm not sure how this would really affect other processing, but
I'm fairly certain that any code (user or kernel mode) that has to process
24bit packed data is going to be less efficient because of the lack of 24
bit math instructions on the CPUs.
<

But you are not doing "math", you are just reorganizing the data. Think of
it as a fast codec.

Peter