[visionrehabtherapist] Re: small engine repair

  • From: "B.J. LeJeune" <BJLejeune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 18:22:11 -0500

It is my understanding that Lions World services for the Blind is no
longer offering small engine repair.  Not because it was not a good
career in terms of work a person who is blind could do, but because the
demand for that type of business was decreasing. They would likely still
have information about their program, even if it is no longer being
taught.

BJ

B. J. LeJeune, M.Ed,CRC, CVRT
RRTC on Blindness and Low Vision
Mississippi State University
P. O. Box 6189
Mississippi State, Ms  39762
bjlejeune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
662-325-2694
FAX 662-325-8989
>>> "Julie Adkins" <jadkins@xxxxxxxxx> 4/5/2012 9:09 PM >>>

Arkansas Enterprises for the Blind offers a certification in small
engine repair (at least according to an article in the Braille Monitor
in 2006).  NFB may have some contact info.  I also found Idaho
Commission for the Blind has a workshop where they teach small engine
repair.  I wonder what all the VA “manual skills” include that they
offer at their blind rehab centers.  VisionAware says World Services for
the Blind has vocational training that includes small engine repair
http://www.lwsb.org/.  So maybe you could contact one of these programs
and see if they could hook you up with a graduate.

Here is a great article about someone with NLP and his own shop:
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2010/03/portage_mechanic_who_is_blind.html

Julie