[visionrehabtherapist] Re: computer question

  • From: larkb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Cammy Moraros" <CMoraros@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "sues04693@xxxxxxxxx" <sues04693@xxxxxxxxx>, "listserve" <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 21:16:18 +0000

Hi Sue,

There is a way to change the cursor size and shape and you can find that,
depending on the computer's operating system, under the control panel and
mouse.  You can also find accessibility settings under the control panel that
can adapt the computer for hearing impairments, as well as, vision loss.  If
the elder has Macular Degeneration or Glaucoma, they might be a good candidate
for ZoomText.  If the computer is a mac they have Universal Access built right
into the system that is a great for accessibility.  The computer would have to
be seen to provide further info.

I hope this helps!

Take Care,
Kathy Bagley

From: Cammy Moraros <CMoraros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: visionrehabtherapist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 16:01:55
To: sues04693@xxxxxxxxx<sues04693@xxxxxxxxx>;
listserve<visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [visionrehabtherapist] Re: computer question

Hey Sue!

Really good question. As I am sure you will receive responses giving you
information about how to change the settings within a computer to change the
cursor appearance....I will add that it is challenging to feel as though we as
VRT's are "up to speed on everything." We are masters at problem solving and if
we don't have the answer right on the spot - it is OK to let our client know
that....indicate that you will explore and research options and return to them
with possibilities.

When it comes to changing settings on the computer, most computers do have some
accessibility features built into the computer. When in doubt - you can try the
"help" option on the computer. However, older operating systems may not have
this feature. It also becomes more challenging if this is a shared computer -
then you may need either permission to change the settings and/or provide
instruction to the client on how to both make the changes and then possibly
reset the changes.

If she had called you as the VRT to assist with this problem - you would have
had some time to research options prior to meeting with her.

Connecting with AT or accessibility folks is always a good option.

I hope this helps!

Cammy

Cammy Moraros, MEd, CVRT, LSW
Cammy Moraros, cVRT, LSW
Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist
Licensed Social Worker
The Iris Network
The Iris Network
189 Park Avenue