[visionrehabtherapist] Re: beginning knitting

  • From: "Kay Townsend" <ktownsend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Lori@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:36:21 -0500

I do not use circular needles often but cast on the same way I do straight
needles.  The method for casting on I learned from a friend who is visually
impaired and has knitted forever and you are knitting the first row at the
same time you are casting on:

SLIP KNOT

Most patterns will not tell you to make a slip knot because it is done every
time you start a project or change colors & assume you know this.

TO MAKE A SLIP KNOT:

1.                          Hold the short end of the yarn between your
thumb & first 2 fingers, leaving a little bit of a tail.

2.                          Wrap the long end of the yarn around the first 2
fingers 1-1/2 times, with the yarn at the back of your fingers.

3.                          With your other hand push the loose yarn up
under the yarn that is wrapped around your fingers, bringing up the loop
into the palm of your hand.

4.                          Hold the loop in this hand & slide your wrapped
fingers out from the yarn, taking hold of the 2 strands of  yarn that are
hanging below the loop.

5.                          Still holding the loop in one hand, pull the 2
strands down to snug up the knot.

6.                          Place the loop over both needles & pull on the
SHORT strand of yarn to snug up the loop.

CASTING ON

1.          With both needles in the slip knot, tip the right

needle behind the left needle.

2.          With the strand attached to the ball of yarn, wrap the

yarn counter clockwise (from right to left) around the

back of the right hand needle & between the 2

needles.

3.          Holding the yarn so that it doesn't fall off the needle,

pull the right hand tip of the needle back out through

the left hand stitch, then pull it some more until you

have a long loop.

4.          Put the left needle into the loop on the right needle

by coming up under the strand in front of the needle

& snug up the loop.

*NOTE: IT SHOULD LOOK JUST AS IT DID WHEN YOU STARTED, BOTH NEEDLES IN ONE
LOOP.*

5.          Repeat steps 2 - 4 until you have cast on the number

of stitches you need.  You are now ready to knit.

As a teacher I have found the book "I Can KNIT", by Annie's Attic, to be
very helpful for the basic beginner.  I have seen it at Michaels, Hobby
Lobby, Hancock's Fabric & Wal Mart.  And for those wanting to increase their
knowledge of stitches the book "10 - 20 - 30 MINUTES to Learn to Knit " by
Leisure Arts a good resource.  For free patterns I have used
Knittingpatterncentral.com to be a good resource.  I see less and less
"free" patterns hanging on the shelves in the yarn department at Michaels
now and assume this is going to become the norm, unfortunately.

  _____