[visionrehabtherapist] Stroke and vision loss

  • From: "Eileen Brennan" <eileenmb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:22:03 -0400

Does anyone have any tips on working with a person who has had a stroke and has
lost part of their visual field?  My client has lost all of the left-side
vision in each eye, as well as upper right vision in each eye.  My main problem
is offering any suggestions for how a person can work to regain the knowledge
of that left side - my person doesn't see it any more and is not aware that it
is there.  He consistently misses any object or part of the object that falls
within that left-side loss and, even with prompting, has a very difficult time
seeing things in that area.

I do know, and have offered the basic suggestions, but would be interested in
any ideas beyond the basics. He is working with a PT, OT, and speech person.

Thank you,
Eileen Brennan