[visionegg] pygame segmentation fault

  • From: "Kevin J. MacKenzie" <kjmacken@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:53:12 -0400

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble getting a piece of code to run on a Windows XP (service pack 2) machine.

I have upgraded to Python 2.4 following the install instructions at www.visionegg.org and all of the dependent packages (using the 1.0 cvs version of the vision egg).

The attached peice of code is what I'm using to test and get going with a stimulus idea. It displays a drifting white noise patch with a fixation cross.

When I run the attached piece of code with the "Attempt to Sychronize buffer swaps" NOT checked it runs fine, but far to fast (I would like to be able to control the speed of the patch). If I run this piece of code with the "Attempt to Sync swaps" checked I get the following pyGame error:

Pygame Parachute Traceback
File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-pacakges\VisionEgg\PlatformDependent.py", line 187, in sync_swap_with_vbl_post_gl_init
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

The VisionEgg check-config.py indicates that everything is fine.

This code has no problems on a Mac OS X machine (which is unfortunatly getting repaired so I'm on windows for a week or so).

The machine itself is:

Dell something or other P4 2.8 GhZ.
Onboard Intel Video - Intel 82865G Graphics controller
LCD screen with a standard VGA output (not through a DVI adapter).

The video is not the best for OpenGL performance, but it should be adequate for my needs right now. This problem is replicated trying to run any of the demos with the "Sync Buffer Swaps" option checked. I am assuming that this is a hardware (OpenGL) issue, so I'm wondering if anyone with similar hardware has run across this, or found a work around that I could employ for temporary purposes.

Thanks,

Kevin