[visionegg] mostly grating related...

  • From: Markus Bongard <markus.bongard@xxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:44:33 +0200

gentle persons,

On jueves, agos 21, 2003, at 05:56 Europe/Madrid, Andrew Straw wrote:

Hi Markus,

You've immediately found the greatest limitation in the current ephys_gui: only a single parameter can be changed over a sequence. All parameters are set in the normal part of the GUI, and the sequence information updates a only single field before each trial in a hierarchical way. Each entry in the sequence information represents a "loop", and the loops are descended into recursively from the top to the bottom. (Your "loops" have only one value, and, in fact, because you have several loop information entries for a single variable, that variable is set and reset multiple times before each trial as the the program recurses into your sequence parameter information.)

yep, found that after some reading in the code & testing - but nice that my more "empirical" findings are right =8). And thanks for the helpfull and fast reply =8)

[new implementation for sequence definition]
Unfortunately, I'm very busy with other stuff right now, and I can't say when/if I'll ever get to this. If you want to delve into Tkinter programming, you're welcome to try your hand at this, as it's mainly a GUI issue. This comes with the caveat that I'd really like to move all of the ephys_gui stuff to wxPython/XRC. This change certainly won't happen before the 0.9.5 release, and I don't know when/if it ever will, but it's something you should be aware of before putting much time into programming the Tkinter version of the ephys_gui.

Sounds quiete nice. I'm actually new to python, but have some Tcl/Tk background, maybe i take this one =8)
Besides that I'm trying to implement two other things: First one is that I like to define the bars by giving a x,y-center which is crossed from a given angle on a given path length. I suppose besides more Python this brings me deep into OpenGL programming, right? Second, I like to have flashes - maybe someone has done something in both directions already. (?)
In the meantime I have a much simpler labview interface for the tcp/ip controlled grating and started to implement Python in a external labview module. We'll see how this works out. =8) <- I will put up some webpage which can be linked from the visionegg side.

Additionally some question: if I display a greating with a constant spatial and temporal frequency several times in a sequence <- the phase display (read the location of the mini- and maxima intensity of the grating) is spatially not always the same.

To explain this a little more let's asume a grating as:

0001000100010001

If I present that in a sequence let's say 5 times I end up with

 0001000100010001
 0010001000100010
 0001000100010001
 1000100010001000
 0100010001000100

Just by chance, somebody has seen this too? Worth a fix? Maybe it is desired?

Cheers,

Markus