[visionegg] Re: installing visionegg on windows 2000

  • From: Andrew Straw <andrew.straw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:55:05 +0200

Dear Timothy,

Your problems are confusing to me, too. Unfortunately, I will be away from a Windows machine for some time, so maybe someone else on the list can help me out. The below is all from memory.

C:\Python22\VisionEgg". I recommend running "check-config.py"
in this directory to check your installation. Running from
the command line lets you see any output or errors."

I do not see any file called "check-config.py" in the visionegg
folder. The only files beginning with "c" are Configuration.py/pyc/pyo
and core.py/pyc/pyo. Hence, I am not sure how I would run check-config.py.

The VisionEgg visionegg-0.9.4.win32-py2.2.exe installer SHOULD create C:\Python22\VisionEgg in addition to C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\VisionEgg. If it doesn't, there is something wrong -- please let me know. C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\VisionEgg contains the library itself -- this should have Core.py, Configuration.py, Textures.py, Gratings.py, Text.py and so on. (These are the files you mentioned in the location you mentioned, so this much seems to be OK.) C:\Python22\VisionEgg should have lots of demo applications and so on.

You could also try the "bleeding edge" installer visionegg-0.9.5a2.win32-py2.2.exe, but I don't remember having changed anything in the installation process, so I don't think that would help this issue. However, if you're interested in text stimuli (as I understand from a previous email you CCed me on), there are a lot of improvements to text placement abilities that are in the bleeding edge release.

I tried it in the command line accessible from the start menu but,
perhaps because I have not set up my python path, there was no joy
there either. I am reticent to set up a python path when I can
see no sign of the check-config.py program. I have done it anyway.
and all of the folowing

python setup.py install
check-config.py
python check-config.py

do not work from the command line prompt from the start menu.
I do not know how I would run command line commands "in" a directory.
I am using Windows not Dos. There used to be a way of running dos
by opening a dos window, within windows. I do not know how to run dos
under my windows 2000 environment. I am not even sure that dos is still there.

The commands you describe above are for installing from the source code of the software. If you downloaded something that ends with ".exe", that was not a source package. In that case the equivalent of these commands are automatically done for you by the Vision Egg installer. (Except the last step of running check-config.py.)

To run things from the command line:

1) Go to the start menu, click "run...". Type "cmd" as the name of the file to run. This opens the command prompt.

2) type "cd c:\Python22\VisionEgg". This changes your command line session to the desired directory if it exists.

3) type "c:\Python22\python.exe check-config.py". I think simply "check-config.py" should work if the Python installer registered Python as the default handler for .py files (which it sounds like it did if you have the little green snakes). And "python.exe check-config.py" should work if python was on your path.

In any case, by running from the command line, you should see any errors or other messages. If you get this far, you can post those. Also, if you do find the demos, a file called "VisionEgg.log" is created, which gets appended with the results from each run.

Maybe you could search your harddrive for check-config.py?

Good luck, and let me know if this helps -- this is very confusing to me, but I suppose it must be more confusing to you!

Cheers!
Andrew