[visionegg] Re: drawing

  • From: adam naples <adam.naples@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 15:44:18 -0700

wow, Agg looks gorgeous.
If you're on a mac you can also call the quartz drawing routines pretty easily from python.

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/03/19/core_graphics.html
http://www.macresearch.org/generating_diagrams_with_python_and_quartz

On May 17, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Andrew Straw wrote:

John Christie wrote:

On May 17, 2007, at 4:00 PM, adam naples wrote:

Hi , I'm not totally sure what you want to do.
something like create Navon type stimuli on-the-fly for each trial?

yes... but not letters, arbitrary shapes.

or do you need to generate a bunch of stimuli for later use?

that would suffice but not be ideal

either way, you might want to look into pyopengl for the former.

OK, so drawing in openGL... that sounds like a bit of an unhappy
proposition.  I would have thought there was a Python library that
further simplified things.

or pyx pyx.sourceforge.net for the latter.

I would check out  pyx first, the drawing code is a little easier to
get the hang of, and you get the benefit of generating EPS files of
all your  stimuli that will look nice in print.

OK, I'll defiinitely check it out.  Wouldn't one be able to generate
the EPS and keep it in memory and then present it?

It seems to me that line rendering EPS would be fairly expensive in
terms of CPU time.

More ideas:

There's support in VE for using pygame surfaces. Pygame has some drawing
commands http://www.pygame.org/docs/ref/draw.html

Another idea would be to use Agg a C++ drawing library. Matplotlib has a Python wrapper of Agg you could presumably bend to your will with a bit
of fender and bodywork. I think Enthought's kiva/chaco does too. Agg
does beautiful anti-aliased drawing. http://www.antigrain.com/

-Andrew

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential. If you are NOT the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately with a copy to hipaa.security@xxxxxxxx and destroy this message.

Please be aware that email communication can be intercepted in transmission or misdirected. Your use of email to communicate protected health information to us indicates that you acknowledge and accept the possible risks associated with such communication. Please consider communicating any sensitive information by telephone, fax or mail. If you do not wish to have your information sent by email, please contact the sender immediately.