compare to psychtoolbox?

  • From: Scott Gorlin <gorlins@xxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:59:17 -0400

Hi all,

I'm getting quite tired of Matlab and I'm pondering a (giant!) switchover to Python and VE. I have a few questions I'm not finding answers to in my readings on this list's archives and the documentation, if anyone can enlighten me:

1) On a dual-monitor setup (non-cloned) in fullscreen, even if the mouse is visible, it seems restricted to the presentation screen. I'd like to have the presentation on one screen and a separate GUI on the second (for on-line experiment control), but this obviously wont work if i can't move the mouse to the second screen.

2) Creating a fullscreen display appropriately captures my primary monitor, but I can't find a way to instead control the secondary monitor on a dual-monitor setup. I've seen a few people mention creating a fullscreen screen spanning both, and creating a viewport just on the second screen, though in my brief experiments I haven't been able to get a screen spanning both monitors (though I'm not positive i'm doing everything right yet :) ). I also know that in psychtoolbox this kind of setup causes significant timing issues, so even if this is the best way to direct stimuli to a specific monitor, are there any known drawbacks to this method? Or, is there a better way of doing this?

3) Is there any way to query the beamposition as in psychtoolbox for precise stimulus onset times?

4) I've seen a few murmurings about switching from pygame to pyglet for the multi-monitor support, possibly for VE 2.0. Is there any kind of roadmap for this (or VE 2.0 in general), or is it still just a gleam in Andrew's eye?

My brief forays into VE have been in WinXP using the Enthought dist. of python

Thanks a lot, I know that's a lot of questions!

Scott Gorlin
Ph.D. Candidate, MIT Dept. of Brain and Cog. Sciences
// eompost 48402397:2FBC.1:ivfvbartt