[visionegg] Re: Unexpected exit behavior

  • From: Andrew Straw <astraw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 11:45:16 -0800

Dear Ted,

To be sure, it quits sometimes, but not always? Always at trial 90? Is
there something unique happening in that trial?

My best guess is that the Windows kernel is killing the application
because it's trying to access too much memory or otherwise triggers a
kernel-caught exception (e.g. floating point exception, segmentation
fault, and so on). Could that be the potential culprit? You could open
the Task Manager and see memory usage during your run. It doesn't seem
like it's a Python-level error, because there'd be a traceback. The
other possibility is that one of the lower-level libraries (OpenGL, SDL,
or something else) calls exit() at the C level, which seems pretty
unlikely. Although it seems unlikely, does the VisionEgg.log file have
any additional information?

If that doesn't help, we might have to try more drastic debugging
measures. If I were in linux or Mac OS X, I'd run "gdb python" to start
Python under the GNU debugger, type "run my_script_name.py" to start and
run the program. When it eventually exited, gdb would show the exit code
and whether the exit was caused by a kernel exception or normally. I
imagine that the equivalent is possible under Windows using the Visual
Studio debugger, but I have no experience doing so.