[visionegg] Re: Reaction time?

  • From: Andrew Straw <astraw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:09:54 -0800

Neil Halelamien wrote:
> What's the "best practice" method for getting a reliable
> mouse/keyboard reaction time in Vision Egg? I've been looking through
> the mailing list archives and have seen some possibilities, but am not
> sure if anyone's commented much on their pros/cons. For example, if
> one were to use an event callback, would you be limited to the
> granularity of the screen refresh rate? What about using something
> like pygame.event.wait() versus repeatedly polling? (I don't need to
> redraw anything while waiting for input)
>
> Thanks, and my apologies if this has already been answered somewhere.
>
> -- Neil

Hi Neil,

There is a discussion about these issues in the recent VE paper in
Frontiers in Neuroinformatics. See especially Figure 5 and the related text.

Straw, Andrew D. (2008) Vision Egg: An Open-Source Library for Realtime
Visual Stimulus Generation. /Frontiers in Neuroinformatics/. doi:
10.3389/neuro.11.004.2008

http://frontiersin.org/neuroinformatics/paper/10.3389/neuro.11/004.2008/

--
Dr. Andrew D. Straw