[visionegg] Re: OpenGL latency

  • From: "Martin Spacek" <mspacek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 03:25:11 -0800 (PST)

Gabriel, yeah, at first I thought (hoped!) it could be triple buffering,
but after some pretty extensive checks (searching the windows registry,
driver settings, etc), it looks like that isn't the problem. Also, the 1
frame latency is consistent across different boards with different drivers
on different computers. It would be unlikely that they all had triple
buffering enabled.

Andrew, as for scene complexity, yeah we've been keeping it pretty simple
with just a single stimulus (plus a large bar underneath for accurately
setting the background colour) in a single viewport. Otherwise, at 200Hz
we start to drop frames. I recall starting to drop frames when trying to
play back two movies (two textures) at the same time (your suggestions for
that by the way are still on my to-do list, along with a bunch others...).
On the other hand, our Nvidia card is a not exactly new Geforce 4MX, but
for our stimuli it has the same lag as our new Radeon 9800. Perhaps the
drivers have improved in terms of latency since you last tested? Was your
latency a constant 10 ms or did you notice it varying?

When I get a chance I'll try turning off sync to swap, I guess the latency
will become more gradiated and will correlate better with the complexity
of the scene.

Cheers,

Martin Spacek