[visionegg] Re: Multi-core, maxpriority, and keyboard polling

  • From: Martin Spacek <visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 13:25:57 -0700

After a little research, it looks like Windows 2000 and WinXP Pro do support multiple cores. You can choose processor affinity in the task manager, or you can use various other 3rd party utilities. Here's a nice article:

http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=465310&rl=1

We've just ordered a Core2 machine. I'll report back what I find out about maxpriority and keyboard use on it.

Martin

Martin Spacek wrote:
Hello,

Has anyone had experience running visionegg on a multi-core machine? I'm wondering if it would be possible to have visionegg running on one core, and everything else (including the OS's keyboard polling process, whatever that may be) on the other core. My hope is that way, one could run visionegg with the absolute highest priority (in windows, that would be realtime for both process and thread priority), without giving up the ability to capture keyboard events with pygame.

I'm not even sure if Windows 2000 can handle multiple cores. I seem to remember reading it can handle up to 2 CPUs. Any idea how you'd go about specifying that you want a certain process to run on a specific core?

Is windows still the better choice vs Linux in terms of being as close to realtime as possible?

I'm bringing this up again because a couple of years ago I posted that I'd found a sweet spot for Windows 2000: setting visionegg process priority to realtime, and thread priority to idle. This gave excellent timing, while retaining keyboard functionality. If I recall correctly, those same settings locked out the keyboard on a WinXP system. I've since updated our stimulus computer a bit (but left it at Windows 2000), and now the keyboard no longer works with those same settings. Perhaps it was due to the move from Python 2.3 to 2.4, which is compiled with MSVC7.1 instead of MSVC6...

Cheers,

Martin