[visionegg] Re: MacOS 10.3 install

  • From: Andrew Straw <andrew.straw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:14:23 +1030

Hi Mark,

I'll hopefully update the installation detail for Panther soon, but here's a draft I've been working on for the website. Although not quite done, I think it may be complete enough to help you. Also, you should be able to install from the source (perhaps from CVS would be best, since I found and fixed a bug while developing these instructions).

Cheers!
Andrew

INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAC OS X 10.3 "PANTHER"

Happily, Mac OS X 10.3 ships with Python 2.3. You can use the built-in
version of Python to run the Vision Egg by installing some additional
modules.

Get and install <a href="http://ftp.cwi.nl/jack/python/mac/MacPython-Panther-2.3- 2.dmg">MacPython
2.3 for Panther addons</a>

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~steffen/tcltk/TclTkAqua/

download
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tcltkaqua/TclTkAqua- 8.4.4.dmg?download
run TclTkAqua.mpkg

# XXX I need to make a (WriteableBin) style thingie for this
sudo chgrp admin /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3
sudo chmod g+w /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3

Open the newly installed /Applications/MacPython-2.3/PackageManager.

Install ''_tkinter-2.3-binary''

Go to File->Open URL (cmd-D) and enter
http://undefined.org/python/pimp/darwin-7.0.0-Power_Macintosh.plist

Install ''PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07-binary''.
Attempt to install ''pygame-1.6-binary'' (this should bring up an error about WriteableBin)
Click ''Show Hidden''
Click ''WritableBin'' and follow the instructions

Install ''PIL-1.1.4-binary''
Install ''pygame-1.6-binary'' (it should work this time)

INSTALL THE VISION EGG

This is much the same as installing the other Python packages.  Using
Package Manager again, go to the Vision Egg package repository:

<pre>http://www.visionegg.org/pimp/darwin-7.0.0-Power_Macintosh.plist</ pre>

Install: <b>visionegg-x.x.x-binary</b>

That's it! The Vision Egg should now be installed.

On Tuesday, February 10, 2004, at 03:21 AM, Jordanna Sprayberry wrote:

Hi Mark,

I just got Vision Egg working on panther last week. The package manager app couldn't install it, so I just transfered the vision egg folders from my laptop to the tower I had panther on, and everything worked just fine. the main Vision Egg folder with the actual source code should go to:
/system/library/frameworks/python.framework/versions/2.3/lib/ python2.3/sitepackages/

The folder with config file and demos goes to
/system/library/framework/python.framework/versions/2.3/VisionEgg

I also moved a a folder that was residing in my user directory to hte new user directory ont eh other computer.

Note: I have only been able to run Vision Egg as the root user on Panther.

Good luck!

Jordanna

On Monday, Feb 9, 2004, at 06:31 US/Pacific, Mark Tovey wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I tried installing VisionEgg under MacOS 10.3, but haven't quite worked it
out. I downloaded the package manager stuff from MacPython to go with the
native distribution, and was able to use the package manager to install
almost all of the packages mentioned as required for the 10.2 install
(including some dependencies that they required, like pyObjC), but Pyro and
VisionEgg didn't want to install using PackageManager for some reason.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Mark