[visionegg] Re: Installation Help

  • From: jochen laubrock <jochen.laubrock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 09:20:35 +0200

Hi,

I think the path differs between your X11 and Terminal sessions. In X11 it seems to be picking up Python 2.4 (and use the associated libraries), whereas in Terminal you are using Python 2.5. Maybe your forgot to export PATH and export PYTHONPATH in your .profle or .bash_profile?

jochen

On Mar 5, 2009, at 4:39 , Andrew Straw wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

To add to Dav's comments, the configuration you report looks like PyOpenGL, pygame and PIL are not installed. This isn't an X11 error but rather a missing packages error.

I'm not using Mac much myself these days, so I have to go by what others, primarily Alex Holcombe, have written on the VE website (at http://www.visionegg.org/Download%20and%20Install/Install%20on%20MacOSX ). The instructions on the website suggest to install packages from http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/ . There are for Python 2.4, and you're output indicates Python 2.5. The VE website also suggests using MacPython2.4 (presumably also downloaded from pythonmac.org).

So, I'd suggest downloading virtually everything from pythonmac.org and trying again.

Please let us know if this doesn't work for you -- I'd like to make sure the online instructions work!

-Andrew

Dav Clark wrote:
Hi Stephanie,
That is strange. To be clear, you certainly don't need to use X11 to run visionegg on OSX, and you probably don't want that running in the first place - who knows what it might do to your video timings. What you _do_ need to make sure is that you are using a framework build (at least, I think this is necessary). So, if you type 'which python', you should see something like
/Library/Frameworks/Python...
or
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python...
or, you might see /usr/bin/python - verify that this is a symlink to a framework build like so:
ls -l `which python`
(those are backquotes - under the tilde)
In any case, I see no reason for you to run this from an X11 terminal. So, if that's causing your problem, just don't do it!
DC
On Mar 4, 2009, at 5:07 PM, stephanie.manchin@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,

I am relatively new to programming and am trying to get visionEgg installed and running on a mac but am running into a problem. There is some kind of X11 error I believe. It may have something to do with my X11 path not including the
library locations and so it can't find them.

I ran the python check-config.py in an X11 terminal. Here is what it outputted:

 Version checklist:

 Python version 2.5.1 (OK)
extra Python info: (r251:54863, Apr 15 2008, 22:57:26) [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc.
 build 5465)]
 numpy version 1.0.1 (OK)
 PyOpenGL (package "OpenGL") failed
pygame failed: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'> No module named pygame.version
 Python Imaging Library (package "Image") failed

 Optional module(s):

 Pyro failed
 bash-3.2$

Oddly though, when I use the normal terminal window (as opposed to X11) and I
run the check I get this:

 Version checklist:

 Python version 2.4.4 (OK)
extra Python info: (#1, Oct 18 2006, 10:34:39) [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer,
 Inc. build 5341)]

 numpy version 1.0.1 (OK)
 PyOpenGL (package "OpenGL") version 2.0.2.01 (OK)
 pygame version 1.8.0pre (OK)
 Python Imaging Library (package "Image") version 1.1.5 (OK)

Can anyone help? Its probably something pretty simple but I don't know how to
fix it.

Thanks!
Stephanie

Andrew D. Straw, Ph.D.
California Institute of Technology
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~astraw/

----
Jochen Laubrock, Dept. of Psychology, University of Potsdam,
Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse 24-25, 14476 Potsdam, Germany
phone: +49-331-977-2346, fax: +49-331-977-2793