[visionegg] Re: Hardware for Vision Egg

  • From: Christophe Pallier <pallier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 13:02:56 +0100

Also, I did some preliminary tests with portaudio (a cross-platform realtime sound API) as a trigger output, and it had 20-100 msec latency on Windows XP with motherboard audio. This is worse than parallel port performance, so I gave up. However, there is low-latency audio hardware available (e.g. using ASIO drivers by Steinberg) which might make a huge difference. Also, it is possible that Mac OS X systems would have better latency through the audio path.

Maybe it not reasonable to expect too much from motherboard audio, I do not know...
Anyway, I fear that one will always have to test and calibrate the timing for each audioboard (and driver).

For linux and MacOS X, Jackit may be an interesting project to try and get low latency audio (as ASIO under Windows)

See http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php

But it is not compatible with Windows...

As an aside, it is somewhat worrying that parallel ports will no longer be around at some point in the future.

Quite worrying indeed.

Yet, I found a company that sells USB response boxes (cf. http://192.131.102.99/rurb/tech.html) and, if I understood correctly an email they sent me, there would be a systematic (i.e. constant) 20millisecond delay between the key press and the registration by the USB system. If true, this would be not too bad for many situations, even if there are cases where this may not be sufficient.

Christophe Pallier www.pallier.org