[visionegg] Frame Buffer Objects

  • From: Eamon Caddigan <ecaddiga@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 11:07:40 -0500

I'm currently working on an experiment containing stimuli that I haven't been able to present without dropping frames, which is unacceptable given the timing requirements of this paradigm. Displays consist of several TextureStimulus instances containing high- resolution color photographs.

Fortunately, the displays are relatively static; the images stay in place for hundreds of milliseconds at a time. As a work-around, I'm considering rendering each unique display to a Frame Buffer object before the beginning of a trial, and then presenting them as a single texture on a rectangle. This sort of emulates Psychtoolbox's offscreen windows.

Does anybody have experience with such an approach? Are there other/ better ways to display many hi-res images when a graphics card just isn't fast enough to handle them all as TextureStimulus instances?

-Eamon