[visionegg] Re: [Enthought-dev] MinGW functionality

  • From: Andrew Straw <strawman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:13:01 -0800

Dav Clark wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2009, at 3:29 PM, Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 14:07, Dav Clark <dav@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to build a subversion checkout of the vision egg for use
>>> with EPD:
>>>
>>> http://visionegg.org/svn/trunk/visionegg/
>>>
>>> I have no trouble actually getting setuptools to attempt a build with
>>> the mingw compiler that's included with EPD, but then I end up with
>>> all kinds of problems, such as:
>>>
>>> *snip*
>>>
>>> building '_vegl' extension
>>> C:\Python25\Scripts\gcc.exe -mno-cygwin -mdll -O -Wall
>>> -IC:\Python25\include -IC
>>> :\Python25\PC -c VisionEgg/_vegl.c -o
>>> build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\visionegg\_ve
>>> gl.o
>>> writing build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\visionegg\_vegl.def
>>> C:\Python25\Scripts\gcc.exe -mno-cygwin -shared -s
>>> build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\
>>> visionegg\_vegl.o build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\visionegg\_vegl.def
>>> -LC:\Python25
>>> \libs -LC:\Python25\PCBuild -lopengl32 -lpython25 -lmsvcr71 -o
>>> build\lib.win32-2
>>> .5\VisionEgg\_vegl.pyd
>>> build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\visionegg\_vegl.o:_vegl.c:(.text+0x6e):
>>> undefined r
>>> eference to `_imp__PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords'
>>>
>>> *snip*
>>>
>>> So, there is some trouble with gcc.exe linking to the python C API.
>>> Is this a known state of affairs?
>>>
>>> I get the same difficulty if I download the current mingw (5.1.4) as
>>> well.  I'm simply running "python setup.py build".  The following is
>>> in my distutils.cfg:
>>>
>>> [build]
>>> compiler=mingw
>>>
>>> distutils is certainly finding the compiler in both cases.
>>>
>>> I'm sure this might be something dumb I'm doing - but it seems like
>>> the kind of thing that'd be really nice to have work "out of the box."
>>
>> Hmm, compiling visionegg works on my VM out of box with EPD 4.0.30002.
>> However, my gcc.exe is not in c:\Python25\Scripts\ but inside the
>> mingw egg. What version of EPD are you using? Might your gcc.exe be a
>> leftover from a previous install?
>>
>> --
>> Robert Kern
>

> Hey Robert (and anyone else),
>
> I installed EPD 4.1.30101.  I also tried running from the bin directory
> in the egg, and it gives the same issue.  I'll try a fresh install of
> EPD 4.1 and give it a try.  Note that visionegg still finishes the build
> and installs, and will even start up a config dialog and initialize the
> screen... but then when it tries to actually do some low-level stuff, it
> bombs out.
>
> I'm also cc'ing the visionegg list - as they might care also.
>
> Note - I Installed PyOpenGL2 (but EPD also has PyOpenGL3 installed).  I
> don't think this is the issue, but again, I'll slog away in my spare time.

Dav, I've had great problems trying to use MinGW to compile the VE. I
can attempt to find my Windows VM and compile the svn version of VE for
you with Visual Studio 2003 (the only compiler that I know of that
works)... Or are you modifying the VE and need to compile it yourself?

-Andrew