[visionegg] Re: DLP projectors and increased frame rate

  • From: Jordanna Sprayberry <jdhenry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:06:54 -0700

I don't know if this information will help...

I use a boxlight DLP projector for my experiments. Prior to launching these experiments we hooked an optical to a rear projection screen to look at luminance out put. The overall luminance levels never drop below 50 %, but there is a 100-50% flicker at a rate of 360 Hz (when displaying a grayscale stimulus, because it uses all three channels). Each individual color channel flickers (from 100 to 0 %) at 120 Hz. That is all the projector knowledge I have.

good luck!

jordanna

On Aug 13, 2005, at 8:49 AM, Luke Sjulson wrote:

hello,

There was a discussion in the archives of this mailing list saying
that someone had heard of someone removing the 3-color wheel from a
DLP projector, creating a white light projector with triple the frame
rate.  Does anyone on this list have direct experience with hacking
DLP projectors, or know of anyone who does?  I'm trying to find a DLP
projector where I can remove the 3-color wheel and encode three
subsequent frames into the R, G, and B channels, but I want to make
sure that I can find a projector where each frame is split into equal
thirds.

Alternately, if someone knows of a 3-chip DLP projector running at
over 100Hz that doesn't cost $30,000, that would be great too...

Thanks in advance!

Luke

--
Lucas L. Sjulson
Cornell/Rockefeller/Sloan-Kettering MD/PhD Program