[visionegg] Re: Another Snow Leopard install question

  • From: Andrew Straw <andrew.straw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 08:26:11 +0200

Dear Geoff,

I think Tomas sent some good advice, to which the only bit I'd add is that normal pygame programs may run fine, but most of them don't use OpenGL. For isolation and understanding of the problem, it would be useful to know if programs that use OpenGL and pygame work on your setup.

-Andrew

On 08/17/2011 09:11 PM, Geoff Brookshire wrote:
Hi everyone,

It seems like there's a little bit of a precedence for this, so
hopefully someone will have some insight. I'm in the process of
setting up a lab to run psychophysics experiments, and having some
trouble getting vision egg to run on the new Mac computers we have
(all running Snow Leopard, OS 10.6.8).

I've tried a couple routes now, and keep arriving at the same error
message. First, I tried to see if this would work using the Enthought
python distribution, adding other dependencies as needed, but I kept
arriving at the same error message:

Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault
Abort trap

I'm not sure what to do about this. What's weird is that pygame works
on its own.

But the new Enthought distribution contains python 2.7, and everyone
here seems to focus on 2.6. So I backed up and used the python 2.6
that was already on my system and tried again. This time, I used
MacPorts and easy_install, since people seem to have a lot of success
with those.
I used:
port install py26-game
easy_install-2.6 PyOpenGL
easy_install-2.6 PIL

And then I installed VisionEgg from the source. Although vision egg
did unpack and can be imported, this error arose:

WARNING: The _gl_qt extension module to the Vision
             Egg could not be compiled.  The Vision Egg should run, but
             the features present in that file will not be
             available.
(In case anyone's curious, I'll put the warnings that came right
before this at the end of the email.)

Since Vision Egg still might run, I tried a couple simple scripts
anyway. Some yield the same message as before (pygame parachute), but
some yield other errors. One said that the _tkinter module was
missing, so I copied it from the enthought directory into
site-packages for python2.6 (bad idea?), but then the "pygame
parachute" error re-emerged. In each case, VisionEgg starts and is
given a process id, but then this cryptic message comes back. Another
error message (for running the as_el_grid.py demo) crashes because the
_vegl module is missing.

Anyone encountered any of these problems before?

Thanks a bunch!
Geoff

(... and sorry for the novel-length question.)

**** Here is the error message that came just before the warning when
installing VisionEgg from source. ******
In file included from VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:27:
VisionEgg/gl_qt.h:13: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘Movie’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.h:35: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘theMovie’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:49: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘theMovie’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c: In function ‘gl_qt_renderer_delete’:
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:183: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named
‘offscreen_gworld’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:183: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘DisposeGWorld’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:183: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named
‘offscreen_gworld’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:186: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named
‘gl_texel_data’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:186: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named
‘gl_texel_data’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:189: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named
‘qt_pixel_data’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:189: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named
‘qt_pixel_data’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c: In function ‘gl_qt_renderer_update’:
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:218: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named ‘tex_height’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:219: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named ‘tex_height’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:222: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named
‘gl_texel_data’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:222: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named ‘tex_width’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:224: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named ‘tex_width’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:226: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named
‘qt_pixel_data’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:226: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named ‘row_stride’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:237: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named ‘tex_width’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:238: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named ‘tex_height’
VisionEgg/gl_qt.c:241: error: ‘gl_qt_renderer’ has no member named
‘gl_texel_data’