[visionegg] Re: 10-bit framebuffers

  • From: Martin Spacek <mspacek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:56:25 -0700

Hi Andrew,

Well, I got this not-so-useful reply from ATI:

>Regarding 10-bit frame buffer support.
>
>The RADEON 9800 products all offer 10-bit frame buffer support.  In
regards >to developing with OpenGL you can refer to the Developer
Relations >department.  Please visit their portion of the ATI website at
>http://www.ati.com/developer/index.html
>

>Regards,
>
>Kyra Plouffe
>Customer Care
>ATI Technologies, Inc.
>http://www.ati.com

ATI seem to lump 10-bit frame buffer support under the term
"Smartshader":

http://ati.com/companyinfo/glossary/includes/list.html#smartshader

From what I can tell, "Smartshader" has been supported in both D3D and
OpenGL since the release of ATI's Catalyst 3.8 drivers:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/catalyst_38_release_notes.html#168664

This occurred back in Oct. 2003:

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2003/4694.html

less than a year ago. So, perhaps the 10 bit framebuffers are now
supported in the OpenGL drivers. Either way, we're about to buy the
card. We'll give it a try and report what we find.

Cheers,

Martin Spacek
PhD student, Graduate Program in Neuroscience
Dept. of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
604-875-4555 ext. 66282
mspacek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swindale.ecc.ubc.ca