[vip_students] Re: new phones with speech

  • From: "Stuart Lawler" <stuart.lawler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 22:31:29 -0000

Hi Tom,

The below information on what is called the '3rd generation phones' may be
of help to you.

Please note though at present, we in NCBI have only tested the Nokia N91 and
cannot verify that any other of the listed phones will work optimally with
Talks.

It is also my understanding, following discussions with Vodafone, that some
of these new handsets will be on the market very soon, hopefully as part of
a deal whereby speech will be included in the end price, in a similar
situation to what is currently happening with the N70.

I will of course keep you all posted on such developments.

Information follows.

********************

Nokia has released a broad range of handsets that utilize S60 3rd Edition,
with very different form factors, and different feature sets addressing
different target user groups.

.       The Nokia 3250 and all N-Series devices (N71, N73, N80, and N91) are
optimized for multimedia access. The 3250 and N91 come with special audio
player keys, and the N91 does even offer a 4GB or 8GB hard drive. Talks does
not officially support the Nokia N92 (targeting mobile TV) and N93 (the
camcorder-alike device).

.       The Nokia E-Series handsets (E50 1, E50 2, E60, E61, and E70) are
the handsets targeting the enterprise or serious business user. They are of
particular interest because they are offered for a really competitive price.
Most of them, except for the E50, offer a SIP-compatible Internet telephony
client. These devices allow access to various push-e-mail services,
including Blackberry Connect. The E61 does even look similar to a Blackberry
device; it comes with a Qwerty keyboard. Talks does not yet support the U.S.
version of the E61, which is called the E62, due to audio playback issues.

.       The Nokia 5500 is an outdoor device, targeting the sportsmen. TALKS
does not yet support the special applications related to sports.
Please have a look at http://www.s60.com to find out more about these
devices and other upcoming Series 60 handsets.

Regards,

Stuart.