[vip_students] Re: my operating system

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:14:40 +0100

Hi Tony,

Whilst I'm not paul, I can tell you that, unfortunately, there is no
bookmarking feature in Windows media Player.  Now, for a few of your other
questions:  Ctrl-p is for Play/pause;  ctrl-shift-f is for 'fast forward';
ctrl-shift-g is for increase speed; ctrl-shift-s is for Slow speed;
ctrl-shift-n is for normal.  There is a sort-of taskbar within windows media
player, and there are a load of buttons on it (each activated by the
spacebar) and which you can tab through - the Library button, the Playlist
button, and these are also (more or less, sometimes less) accessible by the
keyboard from the submenus of the View menu in 'Classic Mode'.  (This
Classic Mode *must* remain checked; it is toggled with ctrl-1.  Then, on the
sort-of taskbar, there are a few panes - each accessible with ctrl+tab.
These give you alternative means of accessing the video etc., graphic
equalizer, SRS Wow Effects, and several other functionalities, which are
again mostly accessible by the usual submenus of the view menu.  Many blind
users don't like Windows Media Player, in part because of its hard-to-find
keystrokes, which are 'poorly documented'.  To add to the mix, there are
some subtle differences in the menu structure (and the keys yused) even
between versions 10 and 11.  (that's one reason it's best (with not-same
versions of particular programs) - unless there is only one way to do them -
not to be too specific in describing how to do things: and levels or stages
of user experience also vary.  Patience and coffee breaks!